A&M just completed coughing up a 14 point lead, twice, to lose against Okie State in Stillwater, 38-35.
This is what young teams do - they play well, they shoot themselves in the foot, they play bad, and they lose.
I thought A&M would barely win. Instead, it barely lost.
A&M showed everything it had, including fighting back when considerably kicked on the road.
But, who cares? The Aggies lost, again.
This is not going to be a fun week for Aggies QB Jerrod Johnson. The Big 12 Preseason QB of the Year at times looked so good on Thursday night, and at other times was unmistakably bad.
He completed 40-of-62 passes for 409 yards with 5 TDs.
But it was his 4 INTs and lost fumble that was returned for an OSU TD is what people can, and should, remember.
He put the Aggies ahead big. He was a reason they lost the lead. He's the reason they came back to tie the game at 35 with 2:54 remaining. He's the reason that OSU had the chance to win at the end when he threw a wretched pass when his team was near midfield and driving towards a game-winning field goal try. As a senior, Johnson should have seen his receiver was blanketed by several defensive backs and there was nowhere to throw the ball; OSU defender Shaun Lewis easily picked it and returned the ball to set up the game-winning kick.
This is one week after JJ threw four picks against Fla. International at Kyle Field.
We did learn some things about the Aggies on Thursday night.
1. There is something decent here, but the fact is it's a year away.
2. OLB Von Miller is quick off the line, but I'm not a big fan of how wide he goes off tackle to pursue the passer. It could be his ankle, which he injured in Week 1.
3. The Aggies can beat a lot of teams, but they're penchant for beating themselves is going to kill them. I don't expect that to change until next year.
4. The OLine has promise, but true frosh LT Luke Joeckel looks like a true frosh.
5. TE Nehemiah Hicks is going to be a stud.
6. The A&M defense can pressure all it wants, but unless it gets home and gets to the QB their DBs are going to be exposed. No one can hold coverages forever.
7. The Aggies are going to score one major upset.
- Mac Engel
Follow Me on Twitter