Texas Power Poll: Week 5
I never thought I would write this - TCU is the only Texas football team ranked in the Top 20 of the latest AP Poll. USA Today has the ‘Horns 16th.
1. TCU, 4-0. The Frogs didn’t blow SMU out of Highland Park, but they remain perfect. Their strength of schedule will begin to take a beating this Saturday with a game at 1-3 Colorado St.
2. Texas, 3-1. Looked painfully average in home loss to Bruins. Can change a lot of opinions if it can defeat the Sooners this week.
3. Texas A&M, 3-1. Real season starts on Thursday in Stillwater against Okie St.
4. Texas Tech, 2-1. A tricky game this weekend at Iowa St.; the Cyclones are just annoying enough to pose a threat. Tommy Tuberville really can’t afford to lose this game.
5. Baylor, 3-1. Any shot of reaching a bowl will be determined this weekend; the Bears host a very average to bad Kansas team. After that things get dicey.
6. SMU, 2-2. Good effort against the Frogs, but they can make a push for an open CUSA race. The Ponies are making serious improvements.
7. UTEP, 3-1. Rallied to beat Memphis; the Miners are surviving and can qualify in a bowl in a mediocre conference.
8. Houston, 3-1. Impressive in winning without their top 2 QBs. The Coogs are at Miss. St. on Oct. 9.
9. Stephen F. Austin, 3-1. The Jacks are a serious I-AA power.
10. Rice, 1-3. The Owls had a great season, but it's time to prepare for finals.
- Mac Engel
11. North Texas, 1-3. Todd Dodge lives to coach another day after the Mean Green posted their first win of the season. A win this weekend at La.-Lafayette, and who knows …
- Mac Engel