We are only a matter of days before the BCS releases its first stupid poll that the college football world is held hostage to.
The first BCS poll will be released Oct. 17.
The talk of said poll will be Boise State and TCU, assuming both teams remain undefeated. Expect a ton of words to be invested on strength of schedule. With Oregon State winning on Saturday at No. 9 Arizona on Saturday night, both TCU and BSU celebrated the win. The Beavers are now No. 24.
Here is how the two team's schedule currently looks.
Boise State (5-0)
1. Virginia Tech, 33-30. Hokies have rebounded and are 4-2. They can win a pathetic ACC; they have no remaining teams ranked on their schedule.
2. Wyoming, 51-6. Cowboys are 2-4, and not good.
3. Oregon State, 37-24. Beavers are perfect in the Pac 10.
4. New Mexico State, 59-0. NSMU is now 1-4.
5. Toledo, 57-14. The Rockets are 3-3.
Remaining Opps, and record.
6. at San Jose State, 1-5, 0-1. Waste of time.
7. Louisiana Tech, 2-4, 1-1. No way.
8. Hawaii, 4-2, 2-0. Maybe it would be a game on the island, but not on the blue turf.
9. at Idaho, 3-2, 0-0. Never know, but highly doubtful.
10. Fresno State, 3-2, 1-1. The Bulldogs are not the same Bulldogs as a few years ago.
11. at Nevada, 6-0, 1-0. The Pack are ranked No. 19, and if they are still perfect going into this game this could be where the Broncos get whacked.
12. Utah State, 2-4, 0-2. Aggies had a nice win against BYU, but don't have enough to beat the Broncos.
Thoughts: As long as the Beavers and Hokies keep winning, the pre-conference schedule will look increasingly legit. The Broncos have yet to have a game where they sleep. Given the upperclassmen on this roster, they may not. Only remaining tough out is Nevada.
1. Oregon State, 30-21. The Frogs' game against the Beavers may be a push with the Broncos.
2. Tennessee Tech, 62-7. Who cares?
3. Baylor, 45-10. This is the one where TCU needs the Bears to win, but that may not happen.
4. at SMU, 41-24. This win looks better and better as Ponies are 4-2, and a legit team.
5. at Colorado State, 27-0. The Rams are awful.
6. Wyoming, 45-0. Cowboys are 2-4, and just not very good.
7. BYU, 2-4, 1-1. The Cougars don't have it this year.
8. Air Force, 5-1, 3-0. The Falcons are ranked No. 23, and their triple-option is nasty.
9. at UNLV, 1-5, 1-1. No chance.
10. at Utah, 5-0, 2-0. The Utes, ranked No. 11 in the nationl, are for real. This game will be tight.
11. San Diego State, 3-2, 0-1. Maybe on the road this would be a problem, but not in the Amon Carter finale.
12. at New Mexico, 0-6, 0-2. No.
Thoughts: Frogs were about as dominant against the the Beavers as the Broncos were, the only difference was TCU won on a neutral field. Probably a wash. The same for Wyoming, both of whom the Broncos and Frogs beat up.
The Frogs need SMU to keep winning, and for Virginia Tech to start losing.
Of the two, TCU has the tougher remaining schedule with games against Air Force and Utah. A win at an undefeated Utah team could be the difference, but that will not be a easy.
- Mac Engel
Follow me on Twitter