1.) You can coach forever in this business if you know the right people.
2.) There are way, way too many coaching positions being filled by state-run athletic departments.
* Asst. head coach and co-offensive coordinator Mike Schultz. Schultz was Fran's OC at TCU; he also worked under Gary Patterson as well.
* Co-offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey. You remember Dickey as the head coach at North Texas where he led the Mean Green to four straight Sun Belt titles.
* Linebackers coach Brad Franchione. Little Fran' is the head coaches' son from his first marriage, and the former head coach at Blinn JC. Little Fran won a pair of national juco titles at Blinn, including one with some stiff QB named Cam Newton.
* Former TCU player and TCU assistant Reuben Vaughn will be the defensive tackles coach.
* I'm pretty sure Fran' didn't bother asking Gary Patterson to be his defensive coordinator.
Remember the day when just a coach coached the defensive line? And a coach coached the secondary?
Now there is a defensive ends coach, a defensive tackles coach, an inside linebackers coach, an outside linebackers coach, a cornerbacks coach, a safeties coach, etc.
And we wonder why athletic departments lose money by the truck.
- Mac Engel
Follow me on Twitter