ESPN and school officials have announced their initial collection of daily and weekly shows, as well as an Aug. 26 launch date for the Longhorn Network, the University of Texas’ 24-hour channel to showcase Longhorns’ athletics in partnership with ESPN.
Among the staple programs announced today, with broadcast times, include:
- Longhorn Extra (10 p.m.) _ A nightly news and information show focusing on the school’s 20 varsity sports will air Monday through Friday.
- Rewind with Mack Brown (Mondays, 7 p.m.) _ Weekly show with football coach Mack Brown, offering highlights from the past game. It will air during football season.
- Texas All Access (Wednesdays, 8 p.m.) _ Weekly show offering a behind-the-scenes look at a Texas team or group. The show will focus exclusively on the football team during the fall.
- Game Plan with Mack Brown (Thursdays, 7 p.m.) _ Weekly show during football season previewing the upcoming game.
- Texas GameDay (two hours prior to Saturday kickoff) _ A football preview show modeled after ESPN’s College GameDay program. The show will originate from Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for home games and from its Austin studio for away games.
In a statement, Longhorn Network vice-president Dave Brown said the shows “will exhibit the same high quality” evident on ESPN network programs. Brown also issued a statement, saying he is “thrilled” to be part of a ground-breaking project.
“When you’re involved in a first of its kind project like Longhorn Network, you know it’s going to have a dramatic impact on your sport,” Brown said. “It’s a very exciting opportunity for us.”
A complete programming schedule will be released later this summer. Fans interested in more information can visit GetLonghornNetwork.com.
Follow Jimmy Burch on Twitter @Jimmy_Burch.
_ Jimmy Burch