With no live high school games to televise, as per Monday's agreement with the Big 12, officials at the Longhorn Network will fill lots of programming hours this fall with a look back at some of the greatest football games and athletes in school history once the 24-hour network debuts on Aug. 26.
Below is an update from network officials, distributed today, involving new programs that have been added to the schedule for September and beyond:
• Longhorn Legends – A roundtable discussion featuring coach Mack Brown and the three biggest stars of his Texas tenure: Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy.
• The Season: 2005 Texas Longhorns – A look back at the magical season that began with lofty expectations and culminated in a Rose Bowl triumph over USC and the 4th national championship in UT history.
• Texas’ Greatest Games – A countdown of the 10 best games in Longhorns football history, as selected by a blue ribbon panel of writers, former coaches & athletes.
• Texas’ Greatest Athletes – A countdown of the greatest athletes across all sports in UT history as selected by a blue ribbon panel of writers, former coaches & athletes.
• Traditions – A look at the history of some of the unique traditions of the University of Texas, including Bevo, Big Bertha, Smokey the Cannon, the World’s Largest Texas Flag and the Hook ‘em Horns hand sign.
_ Jimmy Burch