Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III remained a close second to Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck in the latest Scripps Howard News Service Heisman Trophy poll, released today.
Griffin, who missed the second half of last week’s 66-42 victory over Texas Tech because of a concussion, received three first-place votes but was left off the ballot by two of 10 pollsters on the voting panel. Griffin gets one final opportunity to sway voters Saturday when No. 17 Baylor (8-3, 5-3 in Big 12) meets No. 22 Texas (7-4, 4-4). He has been cleared by Baylor trainers to play in the contest.
Luck, who led No. 4 Stanford to an 11-1 record, has completed his regular season. Luck received four first-place votes and tallied 39 poll points, 11 more than Griffin. Remaining first-place votes went to Alabama running back Trent Richardson, Southern California quarterback Matt Barkley and Wisconsin running back Montee Ball.
The poll has correctly predicted the Heisman winner in 20 of its 24 seasons, including last year.
Below is a look at the top five finishers in this week's balloting:
Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes)
1. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford, 3,170 passing yards, 70.0 comp. pct., 35 passing TDs, 9 interceptions, 153 rushing yards, 2 rushing TDs, 39 (4)
2. QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor, 3,678 passing yards, 72.6 comp. pct., 34 passing TDs, 5 ints., 612 rushing yds, 7 rushing TDs, 28 (3)
3. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama, 1,583 rushing yds, 20 rushing TDs, 27 receptions, 3 receiving TDs, 27 (1)
4. QB Matt Barkley, 3,528 passing yds, 69.1 comp. pct., 39 passing TDs, 7 ints., 14 rushing yds, 2 rushing TDs, 17 (1)
5. QB Case Keenum, Houston, 4,726 passing yds, 73.2 comp. pct., 43 passing TDs, 3 ints., 43 rushing yds, 3 rushing TDs, 12
Jimmy Burch’s ballot
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
3. Trent Richardson, Alabama
4. Tyrann Mathieu, LSU
5. Case Keenum, Houston
_ Jimmy Burch