Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein remains the runaway leader in today’s seventh installment of the Scripps Howard News Service Heisman Poll. Klein, who received all 10 first-place votes from members of the voting panel for a second consecutive week, threw for 233 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 83 yards and two scores in last week’s 55-24 victory over Texas Tech.
Klein’s closest pursuer is Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o, the runner-up for a second consecutive week. West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, the leader through each of the first five weeks of balloting, slipped from third to fifth in this week’s poll heading into Saturday’s game against TCU.
The Scripps poll is the longest-running Heisman Trophy poll in the nation. Since its inception in 1987, it has correctly forecast the Heisman winner in its final weekly installment in 21 of 25 years, including last season. Below is a look at this week’s poll and a list of voters:
This week's top five:
Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes in parentheses).
1. QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 1,630 passing yards, 70.9 completion pct., 12 TDs, 2 interceptions, 634 rushing yards, 16 TDs, 50 (10).
2. LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, 80 tackles, 5 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered, 1 sack, 31.
3. QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama, 1,684 passing yards, 68.9 completion pct., 18 TDs, 0 ints., -51 rushing yards, 0 TDs, 19.
4. QB Braxton Miller, Ohio State, 1,527 passing yards, 58.7 completion pct., 12 TDs, 6 ints., 1,093 rushing yards, 12 TDs, 17.
5. QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, 2,414 passing yards, 74.2 completion pct., 26 TDs, 2 ints., 56 rushing yards, 1 TD, 10.
Others receiving votes: Oregon RB Kenjon Barner 8, USC WR/KR Marqise Lee 7, Oregon RB/WR/KR De'Anthony Thomas 4, Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel 2, USC QB Matt Barkley 1, Clemson QB Tajh Boyd 1.
Last week's top five:
1. QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 50 (10)
2. LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, 20
3. QB Geno Smith, West Virginia, 18
4. QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama, 16.
5. QB Braxton Miller, Ohio State, 12.
Voters: Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman; Randy Beard, Evansville Courier & Press; Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram; Bob Condotta, Seattle Times; Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com; Vahe Gregorian, St. Louis Post-Dispatch; John Helsley, The Oklahoman; Mike Griffith, Mlive.com; Todd Jones, Columbus Dispatch, and Michael C. Lewis.
_ Jimmy Burch