Here are some observations from the morning practice on Day 2 of the three-day mini-camp at Valley Ranch....
* CB Pacman Jones was running some with the first-team defense during team drills. He was on the field opposite Pro Bowl CB Terence Newman.
* WR Miles Austin continues to show off good hands, ones that haven't always been so reliable.
* Not good: LB Bradie James put a clothsline hit on wide receiver Patrick Crayton knocking him to the ground near the sidelines during team drills.
* Showing signs: LB Bobby Carpenter continues to make plays on the field. He came up with an impressive break up in the middle of the field on a pass intended for TE Martellus Bennett.
* Rookie WR Joe West made a nice catch beating Pacman Jones on a pass from Richard Bartel.
* Kick returners: Pacman Jones, Miles Austin, Danny Amendola, Felix Jones.
* Bad hands: Rookie RB Tashard Choice had a rough morning on special teams. As part of the hands team on kickoff return he dropped two kicks that went right through his hands. He jumped for one and the other squirted through his hands.
* Good hands: CB Jerron Wishom had an interception for a would-be touchdown on a tipped pass off the hands of Martellus Bennett.
* Bradie the coverage man: Bradie James has been all over the field with tight coverage on the tight ends. Today, he was all over Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett.
* Drop alert: RBs Felix Jones and Alonzo Coleman on screens.
* Practice visitors: Southlake Carroll Dragons head coach Hal Wasson got a chance to visit the morning practice and check out the facility. Some of his assistants will attend during the afternoon. ... Wasson returned for the afternoon workout along with a few University of North Texas assistants.
* Air it out: WR Patrick Crayton, a former college and high school quarterback at DeSoto, has a big arm and showed it off on a long half-back pass to Sam Hurd. Crayton overthrew Hurd who got behind the secondary.
* Best catch of mini-camp: WR Isaiah Stanback made a wow play during the afternoon snatching an impressive leaping catch high in the air during team drills. Stanback jumped up over LB Justin Rogers to make the grab.
* Heavily coached: SS Roy Williams, who is playing even less in coverage this season, is getting plenty of coaching during the minicamp. He is reguarly seen on the sidelines getting instruction from defensive coordinator Brian Stewart or secondary coaches Dave Campo and Brett Maxie.
- Rick Herrin