With the Steelers having won the Super Bowl in the most dramatic fashion just about possible (Kurt Warner's last play wasn't a fumble), the Cowboys offseason has officially begun.
Here are a few items on the Cowboys' to-do list:
1. Either hire a defensive coordinator or Wade Phillips should just give himself the title.
2. Re-sign linebacker DeMarcus Ware. This is one extension the Cowboys won't regret.
3. Let Greg Ellis go. He was a good soldier for a long time, but he wants the chance to start and he won't get that here.
4. Make a decision about Roy Williams. The other Roy Williams. It was about one year ago the Cowboys were kicking around the idea of cutting safety Roy Williams. He returned, under the idea that if he improved his play he would stick around. If not, he would be cut at season's end. An injury, however, limited him to three games in 2008. The Cowboys missed him because he is better than Keith Davis or Pat Watkins. But the team needs to determine if it's time to find another safety.
5. Be prepared to lose Chris Canty. Canty wants to return, but considering so many of his teammates have signed extensions and he hasn't it doesn't look good. The Cowboys would like to have him back, but at the right price. But he's apt to land a bigger deal elsewhere.
- Mac Engel