The Dallas Cowboys Women's Assocation with the help from some of the team's biggest stars helped raise close to $10,000 for the Rich Behm Family Trust Funday Thursday night.
Chopsticks for Cowboys, held at RA Sushi, featured 13 players serving as waiters, hosts, bartenders and sushi makers. The list inlcuded Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten along with, Kyle Kosier, Nick Folk, Mat McBriar, DeAngelo Smith, Doug Free, Pat McQuistan, Montrae Holland, Cory Procter and Bobby Carpenter and former Cowboys lineman Marco Rivera
Behm, a Cowboys' scouting assistant who was paralyzed from the waist down in the tragic practice facility collapse back last month, was in attendance along with his family.
He was released from the hosptal last Friday and had returned to work at the Cowboys' Valley Ranch headquarters this week. This was his first public appearance.
"Rich is an important part of the organization involved in the day-to-day activities of the team," Romo said. "It's not just the players. There are a whole bunch of people who put us in position to win. Coaches, players, front office and all the people behind the scenes that people don't see. We wouldn't be where we are without all of those people and Rich is one of those guys."
RA Sushi donated all the money raised between 6-8 p.m. to the Rich Behm Family Trust. They raised $5,251 in photos, tips and raffle tickets. They were were projected to make just under $5000 in food totals once all the credit receipts were tabulated.
Rich Behm didn't talk to the media. But his wife Michelle said the family was appeciated and greatful.
"It's very overwhelming," Michelle Behm said. "These players are great. They are just ordinary people. They've really helped us out a lot. Whether it's coming out to the hospital to bring meals or something like tonight, they're just really great guys and they've really helped us out through all of this. Tonight was a big night and Rich is doing very well. We're really thankful for everyone who came out to support us."
It was an emotional night for many of the players as well. They have a lot of respect for Behm and what he did for the Cowboys. They also realize it could have easily been any one of them in this situation if they had been in facility during the collapse.
Although many had gone to see Behm in the hospital, this was the first time they had seen him in public in his wheel chair.
"It was a lot of fun," Witten said. "This was the first time that I've seen him since it happened. And it was an emotional night for us. But we're really happy to be able to do this and especially knowing that all the proceeds go right to his family."
Jenny Kosier, the wife of Kyle Kosier, spearheaded the event for the Cowboys Women's Association along with Michelle Witten and Courtney Carpenter. Laurie Phillips, the wife of head coach Wade Phillips who helped found the Dallas Cowboys Women's Association, was in attendance selling raffle tickets.
Receiver Roy Williams drew raves from Cowboys coach Wade Phillips for a one handed catch in practice Tuesday. But it was one of the few highlights from Williams and the offense on what was an overall sloppy day. Although he and Romo have been working since February to get on the same page and create some chemistry, it is clearly still a work in progress. He doesn't get as many passes as he would like from Romo in practice and then there is still the occassional miscommunication, like on Tuesday when he ran a post and Romo threw to the corner. "It's practice, if you get a ball you get a ball, if you dont get a ball you dont get a ball," Williams said. "You are still working on technique. As long as you open they see on film, maybe you will get one next time."
Rookie draft picks Victor Butler and Mike Mickens continue to miss OTAs because their schools are still in session. They will be available for the minicamp next week. Safety Ken Hamlin missed practice because of a personal matter. He was replaced at safety by Alan Ball.
G Kyle Kosier, K Nick Folk, WR Isaiah Stanback, TE Rodney Hannah, DT Tim Anderson and DE Jason Hatcher are still sidelined recovering from offseason surgeries.
The Cowboys held DE Igor Olshanky, LBs Brandon Williams, Stephen Hodge and Justin Rogers and WRs Sam Hurd, Mike Jefferson and Miles Austin out for precautionary reasons as all are suffering from minor strains, pulls or bruises.
WR Travis Wilson remains hampered by a knee injury and could be facing surgery. As a result, Phillips said the team might have to sign another receiver to the team.
The Cowboys practiced with only five healthy receivers on Tuesday, veterans Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton and rookies Kevin Ogletree, Manual Johnson and Julian Hawkins.
The Cowboys continued to work on "the Razorback", their version of the Wildcat offense," in practice Tuesday.
Last week it was receiver Patrick Crayton taking snaps in this Razorback. This week, it was running back Tashard Choice.
Coach Wade Phillips said it was just a matter of the Cowboys exploring their options for the benefit of their offense and their defense.
While Crayton is a former college quarterback and would be more adept at passing out of the offense, Choice gives the Cowboys someone who can run the inside power plays.
It's not new to him either. He took direct snaps and ran the offense in college at Georgia Tech. And don't sleep on Choice as a passer out of the offense. He said he threw a touchdown pass from it in college.
"I like it, I have a chance to get the ball in my hands," Choice said. "They are looking at it to see how they like. They got to have somebody who can run and throw. Most times it's a running back."
Jerry Jones' announcement Monday that the team has no plans to bring back troubled cornerback Adam Pacman Jones does not mean he wasn't considering the possibility.
He indeed was and told me as much.
As a Cowboys beatwriter since 1997, I also have seen Jones in a celebratory mood on more than one occasion and I know the difference between something that was off the record and on the record.
More to the point, Jones knew exactly what he was doing and what he was saying when he talked me about possibly bringing Pacman back to the team.
He never said he was going to do it. He never said anything was imminent. I never wrote either. I just said he was thinking about it, which is/was a fact.
I'm sure the intense negative reaction he got from the story on Monday made him remove all doubt and end the speculation.
Just know this, Jerry Jones cares a lot for Adam Pacman Jones and is still interested in helping him get back on his feet. And if that would have helped the Cowboys win some games, then he was for that too.
How much does Jerry Jones care?
Pacman Jones continues to live in a home owned by the Cowboys owner in Prosper.
So why would he not consider bringing him back to the Cowboys?
On Monday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones issued a statement through team pr director Rich Dalrymple that he has no plans of bringing Adam Jones back.
This was just hours after news broke that Jones told me late Saturday night that he was thinking about doing just that.
Negative public reaction was swift and intense from emails to blog posts. No one was happy with this possibility.
Jerry Jones is a smart man. He sent up a trial balloon and is now reacting to the response. He never said he was bringing Pacman back. He and Jones' agent Worrick Robinson said they have had no discussions about it.
But Jones admitted he was considering it.
Now that he has, with the help of a lot of angry fans, Jones has decided against it.
I caught up with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in his private suite after the George Strait concert Saturday night. He was celebrating a wildly successful opening night for the new Cowboys Stadium. At least until I told him about the absence of straws. Fans paid $6 for sodas in souvenir cups with lids but didn't get any straws because someone forgot to order them.
But before thatJones talked about the rave reviews he got about the stadium from guests in his suite Saturday night, including Troy Aikman, Jason Witten and former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson.
Jones was so happy that he volunteered a little Cowboys news regarding his continued interest in cornerback Adam Pacman Jones. The Cowboys owner said nothing is imminent or even in the works toward bringing Pacman back to the Cowboys.
But he acknowledged that it is something he is considering, which rates as big news considering Pacman was cut in January after a nondescript season on the field in 2008 and more controversy off of it in the form of a six-game suspension for fighting his body guard at a Dallas Hotel.
Jones said that Pacman Jones graded out as the team's best cornerback last season. But he says he likes second year cornerbacks Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick and is worried about stopping their progress.
Regarding another NFL player with the last name Jones and off the field issues, Jerry Jones said the Cowboys have no interest in former Arkansas receiver Matt Jones. Matt Jones was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars after failing a drug test and violating the terms of his probation from a previous arrest for felony possession of a controlled substance.
The Cowboys seemingly spared no expense in building the new $1.15 Cowboys Stadium. And they get much credit for the getting the facility up and running for today's inaugural event _ the George Strait concert featuring Reba Mcentire.
From all initial reports, the stadium is receiving rave reviews from concession workers who began arriving before noon in preparation for the 5 p.m. concert.
However, there is at least one minor glitch to report. There are no straws for the drinks. The Cowboys went over every detail, perfecting the mega pixels of the giant high definition video screen. But they forgot the straws.
It's a nit pick _ but one fans will certainly notice when they purchase the $6 soft drinks.
Of course, Jerry Jones doesn't have to look far to assess blame. Jones is a part owner of Legends Hospitality, which manages the concessions at Cowboys Stadium.
Linebacker Greg Ellis is officially no longer a member of the Cowboys.
The Cowboys released Ellis Tuesday, one week after owner Jerry Jones said he would not play with the team next year and gave him permission to seek a trade.
Unable to get a trade done, the Cowboys had no choice to be release their former 1998 first round pick.
The Cowboys blamed their decison on a combination of age, money and Ellis declining play. They also like the potential of 2007 first round pick Anthony Spencer who will replace Ellis, 34, in the starting lineup.
But make no mistake about, this was mostly about money.
The Cowboys will get back $4.15 million against this year’s salary cap. But they are still responsible for a $1.5 million guarantee that was put in Ellis’ contract in 2007. If Ellis signs with another team, the Cowboys would have to make up the difference if he does not earn $1.5 million on his new contract.
Possible landing spots for Ellis include the Patriots, Dolphins, Buccaneers and Bengals. The Patriots have a need for a veteran pass rusher. The latter three teams employ former Cowboys defensive coaches who have worked with Ellis in the past.
Ellis played in 162 games with 156 starts for the club. For his career, he has recorded 634 tackles, 36 tackles for losses, 197 quarterback pressures and 77.0 sacks – which ranks eighth on the team’s all-time sacks list. He earned his first career Pro Bowl trip following the 2007 season after recording a career-high 12.5 sacks in only 13 games and was also named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year in 2007 after returning from a ruptured Achilles tendon in 2006.
Ellis also led the Cowboys in sacks six times in his career, second in club history to Harvey Martin's seven times.