« Cowboys have decided to release five-time Pro Bowl center Andre Gurode | Main | DE Igor Olshansky understands he could be the next Cowboys "business decision" »

August 29, 2011

Cowboys can't enter 'shutdown mode' for last preseason game, says Witten

It may be time for most of the Cowboys starters to take break for the fourth preseason game. But that doesn’t mean it’s time for “shutdown mode,” tight end Jason Witten said.

“I think these two weeks are still critical,” he said after Saturday night’s preseason game at Minnesota, the third of the four exhibition games for the Cowboys. They finish the preseason schedule Thursday at Miami before starting the regular season Sept. 11 at the New York Jets.

“We’ve still got a lot to get better on,” Witten said. “Everybody has that same approach. We understand what we have to do because when the season gets here, it’s going to happen fast.”

Witten said the preseason schedule provided good tests for the offense.

“We’ve had adversity, and we came back and played well with the interception last week,” he said. “I feel like run and pass, we’ve done a good job. Good work with the young offensive linemen. We’ve still got a lot to improve on and fine tune. Obviously, the game plan will be condensed as we kind of attack New York with what we’re going to do. That’ll be good for us.”

Witten said the Cowboys will work on everything and not simply focus on a handful of areas.

“There’s still group work,” he said. “The double teams, the routes, you can still get a lot of good time regardless of whether you’re playing or not this week. We know we’ve got a lot of work to do still. But I do feel good about where we are.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7fc4c58833015391185d3c970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cowboys can't enter 'shutdown mode' for last preseason game, says Witten:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.