Linebacker Bruce Carter said he will be active Sunday. He worked with the first-team punt units in Wednesday's practice.
"I’m excited," Carter said. "It's been a long journey. That ACL is no joke. I don’t wish that on my worst enemy."
Carter, the team's second-round pick out of UNC, hasn't played since Nov. 20 when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a game against the Tar Heels' rival, North Carolina State. Carter missed all of training camp and the first six weeks of the season. He practiced for the first time Oct. 19. Carter said he still is not in "football shape" yet.
"I think he's doing a good job," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "He's been on the sidelines, running, and everybody's been optimistic about that, but it's different once you get out there and you start playing with the people around you and you're stopping and starting and having to move spontaneously. I think he's getting himself back into the football mode. He had a good week last week, and we'll just keep evaluating him and see how he progresses."
The Cowboys will have to make a roster move to get Carter on the 53-player roster. Candidates to be cut are receiver Jesse Holley, who was working on the special teams scout team Wednesday, offensive tackle Jermey Parnell, offensive guard Daniel Loper and kicker David Buehler.
-- Charean Williams