The Cowboys have had only one 1,000-yard rusher in the past 10 seasons, but, in 2012, new fullback Lawrence Vickers hopes to give them their first once since Julius Jones had 1,084 yards in 2006.
"You know what? It's going to be wonderful," Vickers said in a phone interview. "I have high expectations. I know I'm going to put the groundwork in to make sure I do my part."
Vickers signed a two-year deal with the Cowboys on Wednesday, a day after he was released by the Texans. Houston needed the $1 million in cap space it gained by cutting him, but the Texans had hoped to re-sign him. Instead, the Texans' loss is the Cowboys' gain.
"I was a little disappointed [about getting cut]," Vickers said. "At the end of the day, you've got to always understand that there is a business part to it. That comes with the territory."
Vickers got his first look at Cowboys Stadium during his visit and was sold on the team, believing after getting to his first postseason in 2011, that the Cowboys are on the verge of returning to the playoffs.
"I've been smiling since I got here," said Vickers, a Houston Forest Brook product. "...It's very exciting to see this team come together, to see it in the beginning stages before the finished product."
Vickers has blocked for a 1,000-yard back four times in six NFL seasons, including Arian Foster last season. Foster had 1,224 yards. He will block for DeMarco Murray and Felix Jones with the Cowboys, replacing Tony Fiammetta.
Murray was on pace for a 1,000-yard season last year as a rookie before fracturing his right ankle in a December game against the Giants. He finished with 897 rushing yards. Jones had 575 rushing yards last season.
Vickers said he has yet to meet Murray or Jones but looks forward to blocking for them.
-- Charean Williams