Tony Romo said he’s optimistic the Cowboys have someone on the roster who can replace Laurent Robinson, the team’s leading touchdown receiver last year.
“I think the potential is there for a couple of guys to go in and grab that spot,” Romo said in a press conference Tuesday at Valley Ranch, where the Cowboys are in their second week of voluntary workouts. “It’s just a matter of who is going to work their butt off and put themselves in that position. I think some guys have started that.”
Andre Holmes, Dwayne Harris and Raymond Radway are the Cowboys’ least experienced receivers behind starters Miles Austin and Dez Bryant. Kevin Ogletree is back for his fourth season.
Robinson caught 11 touchdown passes from Romo in 2011, despite being a free agent signee in Week 2.
“He had a knack for continuing to move as the play broke down,” Romo said of Robinson, who signed with Jacksonville. “He understood the timing I wanted to see, and he was able to do that really well.”
About the offseason program that started last week, Romo said it’s a big difference in atmosphere from last spring’s unsupervised lockout work.
“I thought we did a good job last year with what we were able to do getting the guys together and working hard and stuff,” he said. “But you just can’t simulate the whole football team getting under the rack, having 350 pounds, squatting and then having to go out and do metabolics on the field and then run, over and over again, until you’re tired. It’s something very hard to duplicate. I think the program’s been great. We’ve had everybody here. The guys are working hard. It’s quick, it’s fast-paced as far as when you’re in there, you’re going the entire time. It’s great to see the guys continuing to get better. It’s been really good to see so far.”
-- Carlos Mendez