« Jerry Jones: Nobody needs Mike Jenkins more than the Cowboys | Main | Fourth-round pick Kyle Wilber has pins removed from his finger »

May 30, 2012

Cowboys won't fight their $10 million cap penalty

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones doesn't believe his team did anything wrong in 2010 when they signed receiver Miles Austin to a six-year, $54 million deal that included $17.078 million in base salary for that season. The NFL and then an arbitrator ruled differently, and Jones said the fight is over.

The Cowboys will take a $10 million cap hit, with the deduction split over the next two seasons.

"We were very emphatic that there was no deal among the owners about anything to do with a cap, and that was our position," Jones said during Wednesday's OTA at Cowboys Stadium. "We honor the arbitrator. The ruling was that the place to hear this was not in his jurisdiction, the place to hear it was over in federal court, which we're not interested in getting involved like that."

Arbitrator Stephen Burbank upheld the league’s penalties against the Cowboys and the Redskins, who lost $36 million in cap space for overloading contracts during the uncapped season of 2010.

Jones would not elaborate on why the Cowboys won't take the league to court, though the NFLPA filed a collusion case last week.

"I just don't want to," Jones said of not pursuing the fight.

But it could be that the Cowboys would love to see another Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium. A Cowboys' suit against the league probably wouldn't make owners inclined to vote for a North Texas' Super Bowl bid.

-- Charean Williams

 

 

 

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7fc4c588330168ebf26bc5970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cowboys won't fight their $10 million cap penalty:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.