« Cowboys looking to play in Hall of Fame game to open the preseason | Main | Stephen Jones says Cowboys' starters at safety are probably on the team right now, and you know who he means »

March 18, 2013

Cowboys haven't gotten an offer 'we want to look at' for Spencer, says Stephen Jones

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said talks to work out a long-term agreement with Anthony Spencer have not started, but that the Cowboys picture him with the team this year and not being traded.

“No, I mean not anything we want to look at,” Jones said Monday from the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix, where he was asked if he had gotten any offers for the veteran linebacker. “At the end of the day, we plan on Anthony being here. Now, anybody at any time – there has always been a philosophy if the right deal is there that makes us a better team, then you’ve got to take a look at it. Our thoughts are Anthony is going to be playing football for the Cowboys this year.”

Jones said it was important to new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, who are leading the Cowboys’ transition from the 3-4 defense to the 4-3, that Spencer stay. He’s expected to play defensive end in the new scheme.

“They thought he’d really make a difference,” Jones said. “I think there’s no question if you turn on the tape consistently, he was probably our best defensive player last year when you take into account Ware was hurt and some of the things that went on. It really felt like he’d be a big plus for us opposite of DeMarcus and could make our defense, with what Monte and Rod want to do, would make us a better defense. We’re going to be able to do that.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7fc4c58833017c37df548e970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cowboys haven't gotten an offer 'we want to look at' for Spencer, says Stephen Jones:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.