« Jason Hatcher says he's a role player in Cowboys' defense, just like everyone else | Main | Gerald Sensabaugh, who was released in March, retires a Cowboy »

May 09, 2013

Former Cowboys safety Gerald Sensabaugh confirms via text message that he is retiring

Safety Gerald Sensabaugh, who released by the Cowboys in March for salary cap reasons, confirmed via text message that he has decided to retire rather than continue to seek in employment as a free agent.

Sensabaugh said he has drawn interest from a couple of teams but was no longer interested in playing football, bringing his eight-year career to an end.

Sensabaugh signed a one-day contract with the Cowboys on Thursday to offiically retire with the club the team he has spent the last four years with.

Sensabaugh was drafted in fifth round by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005. He stayed their for four years before joining the Cowboys in 2009.  

He started 84-of-112 games, posting 469 tackles, two sacks, six tackles for loss, 43 pressures, four forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and 14 interceptions in eight years in the league. Sensabaugh had 62 tackles in 15 games with the Cowboys last year but he had no interceptions and just two in the past two years combined.

The Cowboys saved $1.5 million by releasing him March, while hoping the upgrade the position with more playmaking ability.

Safety, however, still remains a concern for the team after the draft and after free agency as they have yet to even replace Sensabaugh with a proven upgrade though they do have cheaper options in veteran Will Allen, second year man Matt Johnson and rookie third-round pick J.J. Wilcox.

Clarence Hill

 

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e54f7fc4c5883301901c0032a4970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Former Cowboys safety Gerald Sensabaugh confirms via text message that he is retiring:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.