Guard Mackenzy Bernadeau will be sidelined at the start of training camp for the second straight year after being placed on the physically unable to perform list by the Dallas Cowboys.
Bernadeau injured a hamstring during the pre-camp conditioning test on Saturday and was unable to finish. He will remain sidelined until he regains his health and passes the test.
It's the continuation of a frustrating turn with the Cowboys for Bernadeau, who missed most of training camp last year because of knee and hip injuries.
Bernadeau had hoped for a fresh, clean start in 2013.
"I let myself down," Bernadeau said. "My whole point was being here on time and being prepared to compete so I'm more frustrated than anybody. It's frustrating. It’s the second year in a row not starting off camp. You want to be out there with the team, but you still have to be healthy."
Bernadeau said the injury is minor, and he believes he will return soon.
But it's huge setback for a Cowboys offensive line that is also beginning camp without fellow starting guard Nate Livings (foot) and top backup Ronald Leary (calf), who are both on the non-football injury list.
David Arkin and Kevin Kowalski worked with the first team at guard on Sunday.
"Unfortunate, but that’s the way the game goes," offensive line coach Bill Callahan said. "A lot of guys stepped up into those positions and roles. We’ll get them back in a couple of days, I think. It’s one of those things that happens. You can’t plan for it. You just adjust and adapt off it."Clarence Hill