Former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson made the semifinal list for the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the first time.
Johnson, who retired after the 1999 season, won two Super Bowls with the Cowboys. He went 89-68, including the postseason, in his nine seasons in the NFL with the Cowboys and the Dolphins.
Johnson joined one of his former players on the list of 25 modern-era semifinalists announced Wednesday night.
Defensive end Charles Haley made the semifinal list for the ninth time. He is a four-time finalist.
The selection committee reduced the ballot from 126 to 25. Linebacker Derrick Brooks, coach Tony Dungy, receiver Marvin Harrison and tackle Walter Jones were the only first-year eligible candidates to make the cut.
Guard Steve Wisniewski, drafted by the Cowboys in the second round in 1989 but traded to the Raiders the same day, joined Johnson in making the semifinal cut for the first time despite being previously eligible.
Selectors will reduce the modern-era candidates to 15 by mail ballot, with an announcement of the finalists Jan. 8. They will join the two previously announced seniors candidates, punter Ray Guy and defensive end Claude Humphrey, on the final ballot.
Here is a list of the semifinalists:
- Morten Andersen, K –1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings
- Steve Atwater, S – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets
- Jerome Bettis, RB – 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
- Derrick Brooks, LB – 1995-2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Tim Brown, WR/KR – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers
- Roger Craig, RB – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings
- Terrell Davis, RB – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos
- Edward DeBartolo, Jr., Owner – 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
- Tony Dungy, Coach – 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts
- Kevin Greene, LB/DE – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
- Charles Haley,DE/LB – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
- Marvin Harrison, WR – 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts
- Joe Jacoby, T –1981-1993 Washington Redskins
- Jimmy Johnson, Coach – 1989-1993 Dallas Cowboys, 1996-99 Miami Dolphins
- Walter Jones,– T – 1997-2008 Seattle Seahawks
- John Lynch, FS –1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos
- Karl Mecklenburg, LB – 1983-1994 Denver Broncos
- Andre Reed, WR – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
- Will Shields, G – 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
- Michael Strahan, DE –1993-2007 New York Giants
- Paul Tagliabue,Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
- Aeneas Williams, CB/S – 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams
- Steve Wisniewski, G – 1989-2001 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders
- George Young, Contributor – 1968-1974 Baltimore Colts, 1975-78 Miami Dolphins, 1979-1997 New York Giants, 1998-2001 National Football League
-- Charean Williams