I talked to Joe Nieuwendyk and he said to expect a quiet week. Assistant GM Frank Provenzano, who does all of the work on contract negotiations, is on vacation. Nieuwendyk said the contract situations remain status quo, which means none will probably get done anytime soon.
Nicklas Grossman is probably the closest, so there is hope.
I e-mailed Jere Lehtinen's agent, Don Baizley, and he said Lehtinen has not made a decision about retirement and he has not set a timeline. The Stars appear to be willing to wait on Lehtinen (as long as Lehtinen comes in at a low price).
I texted Mike Modano and he said there is no plan at this time for a meeting with people from Minnesota or San Jose (who have expressed interest in signing Modano). He said he is working out off-ice and still plans to skate in early August. He said he will make a decision on if he wants to play after he skates.
As has been reported earlier, Detroit is willing to wait for that decision.
I also talked to the agent for Marty Turco, Kurt Overhardt, and he said Turco will end up as the No. 1 goalie on a competitive team. He said expect a decision in the next 7-10 days.