The Rangers are one of five teams in the hunt for free-agent left-hander C.J. Wilson, but they might have to offer six years to snag him.
A major-league source said that one of the other four suitors has made an offer of six years. The Rangers are expected to meet with agent Bob Garber tonight or Tuesday morning, and they could make their first offer to Wilson since a four-year, $48 million offer before last season.
Wilson is hoping to sign a contract this week but won't sign with a team just because it offered six years, said Garber. Wilson has no favorite and has been patient with the process. Wilson is known to have met with Anaheim and Miami. Washington is another suitor, as is a team that has remained anonymous.
The Rangers have also spoken to Garber about another of his clients, free-agent right-hander Roy Oswalt.
"I have the two best clients out there," Garber said. "C.J. is comfortable with the process and confident with how things have been going. Roy basically said, 'Take care of C.J. I'll wait in the wings. Once C.J. and [Mark] Buehrle have signed, my market will open up."
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said that there are opportunties to pursue even though they have already signed free agents Heath Bell and Jose Reyes. The Marlins played host to Wilson last week in Miami, and Wilson made a favorable impression.
"Terrific young man. Very intelligent and very interesting guy," Loria said. "There are opportunities we want to pursue."
-- Jeff Wilson