Nelson Cruz is getting back-to-back days off.
Manager Ron Washington used Monday's off day and today to rest the Rangers right fielder for the stretch drive. David Murphy is starting in right, and Leonys Martin is getting a start in center.
Washington doesn't plan on giving any of his other regulars a full day off the rest of the season. Adrian Beltre is expected to get a game at designated hitter at some point this home stand, but that's the only player on Washington's radar screen.
"They're ready to go," Washington said of his team. "For the most part, I've gotten the guys I've wanted to [a break]."
Here are a few more notes:
* Mike Napoli is scheduled to start at catcher tonight for Doulbe A Frisco, which takes on Springfield in the Texas League Championship's best-of-5 series. Napoli has been on the DL with a left quadriceps strain since Aug. 11. Napoli will catch seven innings tonight, and then is scheduled to catch all nine innings Wednesday. The plan, as of now, is to have Napoli serve as the designated hitter in Game 3 on Friday in Frisco. "Our intention is three [games], but I'm not saying you won't see him after two," Ron Washington said.
* As far as when Napoli is healthy, Washington said he would "equalize" the catching duties between Napoli and Geovany Soto. "If [Napoli] is here and ready to go, I'm going to give him at-bats," Washington said.
* There is no update on the status of Roy Oswalt, who left Sunday's start against Tampa Bay with flexor muscle soreness near his right elbow. "I don't know the seriousness of it, so we'll wait and see," Washington said.
* Left-hander Robbie Ross, on the DL with a left forearm strain since Sept. 1, will play long toss today and could be ready to be activated by the end of the week.
* Triple A Round Rock manager Bobby Jones has joined the Rangers coaching staff this homestand as the club's extra September coach. Jones is in his 25th season with the organization. Greg Maddux, a special assistant to the general manager, is also with the team today.
-- Drew Davison