Rangers general manager Jon Daniels held a conference call with beat reporters this afternoon and addressed a variety of topics:
* Second baseman Jurickson Profar is dealing with right shoulder tendinitis and will be limited at the start of spring training. Daniels said it's not considered serious and Profar should only be about a week behind the rest of the infielders.
* Left-hander Derek Holland, who underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee earlier this winter, is progressing well but will not be with the team when camp begins. Instead, Holland is expected to arrive to Surprise, Ariz. on Feb. 22-23 once he is off crutches.
* The Rangers and Mitch Moreland are still in contract negotiations for 2014. Moreland is arbitration-eligible for the first time in his career, and is seeking a $3.25 million deal. The Rangers countered at $2.025 million. Daniels is "hopeful" the club can continue its track record of avoiding arbitration hearings, but are prepared to go on Feb. 19.
* Super Bowl champion Russell Wilson has an open invitation to spring training. Daniels is letting Wilson soak in the celebration and has yet to contact him. Daniels said Wilson would be more than welcomed to take batting practice and field ground balls. Also Wilson, acquired through the Rule 5 draft, would receive an invitation to big-league camp.
* Daniels had no announcements to make in regards to free agent signings. It's been reported that Tommy Hanson and the Rangers have agreed to a minor-league deal, but nothing has been made official yet. The team could be waiting until later this week when they'll be able to place Holland on the 60-day disabled list to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
* Daniels went on to say that he has been in contact with Nelson Cruz's agent, but doesn't expect the former slugger to return to the team. Daniels added that the team is not actively pursuing any impact bats left on the market. He is confident a right-handed bat will emerge from internal options such as Michael Choice, Robinson Chirinos and Alex Castellanos. Catcher J.P. Arencibia was also listed as a potential right-handed option.
* Submarine pitcher Ben Rowen, who almost earned a big-league callup last season, will report to camp a little behind schedule as he is dealing with biceps tendinitis.
-- Drew Davison