PGA Tour officials will allow fans to carry and use mobile devices at tournaments this season as part of a policy change announced today.
The new policy, which goes into effect Feb. 28, means fans will be able to use cell phones in selected areas during both D-FW tour stops in May: the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial in Fort Worth (May 16-22) and the HP Byron Nelson Championship in Irving (May 23-29).
Under the revised policy, spectators can carry mobile devices on the golf course with the volume setting on silent. Phone calls can be made or received in designated areas throughout the golf course, notably at concession stands. Fans will be allowed to receive and send messages from areas of the course away from play.
For fans with cellphone cameras, no video recording will be permitted at any time during tournament week. Photography will be banned during official competition rounds.
After using the policy at five test events, including last week’s AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, tour officials chose to adopt it on a full-time basis, effective at The Honda Classic (Feb. 28-March 6).
Andy Pazder, the tour’s chief of operations, said the move was necessary because tour officials “understand that mobile devices are an important part of everyday life.”
“We anticipate our fans will be respectful of the policy and, as a result, the integrity of our competitions will not be compromised,” Pazder said.
_ Jimmy Burch