In keeping with great movies that turn a certain age, Dirty Harry is 40 years old this year. In 1971, the world met Inspector Harry Callahan. He was, and maybe still is, the greatest rough cop that ever existed in entertainment.
The first movie in this series, "Dirty Harry" remains a timeless action flick. Andrew Robinson's performance as the killer in Dirty Harry is still a chilly portrayal of a sadistic murderer.
The rest of the movies in this series are hit and miss.
The character spawned countless imitators, sequels, etc. In celebration of the best tough cop that has ever lived, here is a list of Dirty Harry's best lines (please note some of the funnier ones had to be dropped because of language).
10. "Well, this is the .44 Magnum Auto-Mag and it hold a 300-grain cartridge. And, if properly used, it can remove the fingerprints."
9. Captain Briggs: "Don't you lecture me, you son of a (blank)! Do you know who I am? Do you know my record?
Harry: Yeah... you're a legend in your own mind.
8. "That's mighty white of you."
7. Sunny: "What does a girl have to do to go to bed with you?"
Harry: "Try knocking on the door."
6. "Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy."
5. The Killer: "You tried to kill me!"
Harry: "If I tried to do that your head would be splattered all over this field - now where's the girl?
4. "Go ahead, make my day."
3. Harry: "Every day for the past ten years, Loretta here's been giving me a large black coffee- except today she gives me a large black coffee and it has sugar in it. Alotta sugar. I just came back to complain."
Crook: Say what, sucka?
Harry: Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here.
Crook: Who'se we sucka?
Harry: Smith and Wesson... and me.
2. "A man's got to know his limitations."
1. "I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
Facebook Mac Engel