Very impressive showing by the Big 12 in its opening weekend of amateur football. While Alabama was beating the crud out of Michigan, Oklahoma State was taking care of business against Savannah State.
The Big 12 went 9-0 on Saturday and proved not only can it win a Conference USA title if necessary, but would also qualify for the Football Championship Series playoffs.
* No. 4 Oklahoma was the only dumb one to actually go on the road and it looked very ish in a 24-7 win at UTEP. The Miners were 5-7 last season so considering who else the Big 12 played this weekend this qualifies as a "tough" out.
* No. 11 West Virginia fit right in with the Big 12 by defeating Marshall, 69-34.
* No. 19 Oklahoma State defeated a very, very underrated Savannah State team, 84-0. What is Savannah State? Got me. It finished 1-10 last season in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. Hope they enjoy T-Boone's check.
* No. 15 Texas showed all of its new uVerse Longhorn Network viewers it can win the MWC by defeating Wyoming, 37-17. The Cowboys were 8-5 last season, so it least Mack Brown didn't Mike Gundy it up.
* No. 22 Kansas State showed there is no better non-conference scheduler than Bill Snyder with 51-9 win against Missouri State of the mighty Missouri Valley Conference.
* Iowa State defeated a decent Tulsa team, 38-23.
* Texas Tech did a number on Northwestern State, 44-6.
* Even without RGIII, Baylor beat the living blank out of SMU, 59-24.
* Hell, even Kansas managed to win; defeating South Dakota State, 31-17.
All told, the Big 12 won it opening weekend 437-137 against a collection of opponents that finished 52-56 last season.
Facebook Mac Engel