Among the most curious of prospects is University of Texas WR Marquise Goodwin. He is only 5-foot-10, 175 pounds but he is stupid fast.
In Indianapolis during the combine, Goodwin recorded a 4.27 in the 40-yard dash, the fastest of any player at this non-event event.
This season in Austin, Goodwin carried the ball 13 times for 167 yards (net 140) with three touchdowns. He averaged 10.8 yards per carry. He ranked third on the team in receptions with 26 for 340 yards and three touchdowns.
Can someone explain why Mack Brown didn't get the football more to this man?
Is there a direct correlation between a fast 40-yard dash at the NFL combine and future success on the football field in the National Football League?
Goodwin's 4.27 is the second-fastest time in the 40 at the combine since 2006. It all but ensures he will play for the Oakland Raiders.
Here is a look at the fastest 40 times since 2006, and the respective careers.
1. Chris Johnson, 2008, 4.24 ... RB drafted 24th in the 1st round. Has played in every game but one since his rookie year in 2008. In that time he's rushed for 6,888 yards with 44 TDs and averaged 4.7 yards per carry.
2. Jacoby Ford, 2010, 4.28 ... KR drafted in the 4th round by the Oakland Raiders. Used primarily as a kick returner. Returned four kicks for TDs between '10 and '11. Spent last season with Raiders but did not play.
3. DeMarcus Van Dyke, 2011, 4.28 ... DB drafted in 3rd round by the Raiders. Played in 14 games for the Raiders in '11 and had one INT. Spent last season with the Pittsburgh Steelers where he played in nine games.
4. Yamon Figurs, 2007, 4.30 ... WR drafted in the 3rd round by the Baltimore Ravens. Was in the NFL from '07 to '10 and played for Ravens, Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Bucs, Cleveland Browns and Raiders. Appeared in a total of 34 games and used almost exclusively as a returner.
6. Tye Hill, 2006, 4.30 ... DB drafted 15th overall by the St. Louis Rams. Played 3 seasons for the Rams before spending '09 with the Atlanta Falcons and '10 with the Detroit Lions. Appeared in a total of 40 NFL games.
7. Tyvon Branch, 2008, 4.31 ... DB drafted by the Raiders in fourth round. Has appeared in 70 games, including 61 starts, for the Raiders from 2008 through the '12 season.
8. Johnathan Joseph, 2006, 4.31 ... DB drafted 24th overall by the Cincinnati Bengals. Was a starter for the Bengals from '06 to '10. Has spent the last two seasons as a starter for the Houston Texans.
9. Justin King, 2008, 4.31 ...DB drafted in the 4th round by the Rams. Spent three seasons with the Rams; split last season with the Indianapolis Colts and Steelers.
10. Jason Hill, 2007, 4.32 ... WR drafted in the 3rd round by the San Francisco 49ers. Spent three season with the 49ers. Played in 6 games for the Jacksonville Jaguars in '10 and all of the '11 season. Appeared in three games in '12 for the New York Jets.
Facebook Mac Engel