I'll admit it, I was against this trade as soon as it surfaced. And now that it looks like it's on its way to happening, I decided to look back at the classic "Five Stages of Grief" (along with a few added ones of my own) that Mavs fans who are against this trade have probably gone through over the last five days.
1) Denial: "That isn't happening, somebody made that up."
2) Reality denial: "There's no way Cuban, Nellie and Avery all signed off on this atrocity. This is happening in bizarro NBA."
3) Anger: "How could they?!Devin Harris is the catalyst for this team! How dare they bring in an old timer past his prime to replace him!?"
4) Bargaining: "Well, if we get Stack back after the trade, then it isn't as bad."
5) Depression: "Man, not only are we not going to win a championship, now the franchise is going to start going downhill faster than it was before."
And then, just before acceptance sets in: "I try to do what's best for me. My agent looks out for me and the Mavericks obviously want to look out for their organization." -- Devean George
6) Unbridled joy: "I'm buying a Devean George jersey. After all, they're probably on clearance now!"
7) Retribution: "What makes them think they could get away with something so awful? I'm not wearing my Mavs cap today."
8) Uncertainty: "Man, I hope they don't shuffle this thing up and make it happen."
9) Reassurance: "God bless you, Jerry Stackhouse."
Just before the All-Star Game, the deal appears all but done...again.
10) Repeat: Steps 1 and 3 again.
11) Bargaining (Round 2): "Well, at least we're keeping Stack and George and we're casting off Hassell and the Fake Keith Van Horn."
12) Repeat: Step 5 again.
Drinking Acceptance: "Well, maybe Kidd will work out and we'll win a championship. Oh, who am I kidding? Pour me another one barkeep."
-Scooter Hendon, Hoops Nerd