DALLAS -- Mark Cuban said no final decision has been made on suspended guard Delonte West. And when that decision is finally made, the Dallas Mavericks owner said he will be the one making it.
West was suspended indefinitely Thursday for "conduct detrimental to the team'' because of an incident when the Mavs played Wednesday in Wichita, Kan. Because the Mavs have 16 players on their roster, they have until Monday to trim that roster to 15, with West the likely candidate to be waived or traded.
"I’ll make the decision,'' Cuban said before Friday's home game against Charlotte. "No decision has been made.
"We also are in no rush to make a decision, so we’ll do what we think is best. But we’re not going to be in a situation like we were with a player last year.''
Cuban, of course, was referring to Lamar Odom, who became a constant pain to the Mavs for his lethargic play before they finally released him in April.
Thursday's suspension was the second one for West in 11 days. The Mavs also suspended him on Oct. 15 -- for less than a day -- for the obligatory "conduct detrimental to the team.''
The Mavs as a whole respect the hard work West gave them, and they respect his competitive spirit.
"He’s a great guy,'' Cuban said. "I'm very disappointed, but we’ll deal with it.
"Like I told you guys many times, Delonte is unique and we’ll deal with it and I’ll make the decision."
-- Dwain Price
Follow me on Twitter